Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

When Donald Miller was approached by two filmmakers about making his New York Times Best Seller "Blue Like Jazz" into a movie, what he learned about the story of any character in a movie would alter the way he thought of his own life and the story he was choosing to live. Miller contends that like any good character, we are called to live the best possible story for ourselves and doing so means facing a lot of difficult times. "A character is revealed by what he does," after all.
"Blue Like Jazz" has been one of my favorite books since discovering it a few years ago, so my hopes were high for "A Million Miles." Every chapter, every page, every word was like water to my dehydrated spirit. I laughed because all of his stories could have been written just about me and I cried because all of his insights could have been directed just toward me. Through Miller's words, I came to discover that if I wanted a better life, all I had to do was try living one. In searching for the best story for his life, Miller frees us to find our own.
See an excerpt here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19148891/A-Million-Miles-In-A-Thousand-Years-by-Donald-Miller

2 comments:

  1. I saw him speak this past weekend about this exact topic at the National Youth Workers Convention in LA. Definitely some good word. Makes me look at my story and try to figure out which parts to cut. Like brushing my teeth. or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael

    Happy New Year to you! I trust you are having an enjoyable day. My name is Todd Stepp and I work for BooksChristian.com, here in Franklin, TN. We are a Christian owned & operated company that sells over 200,000 Christian products.

    I have visited acriticalspirit.blogspot.com and have noticed that you post book reviews on your blog. I wanted to see if you would be interested in partnering with us, enabling visitors to your blog to purchase books that you review, as well as other books that you may suggest to them (books of the day etc.). In return we would pay you 9% on every sale made. There is very little work that would need to be done on your end, as we provide all the tools to create links and codes that you can post on your blog.

    I would love to discuss this further with you at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Regards,

    Todd Stepp


    --
    todd stepp
    bookschristian
    e: todd.stepp@bookschristian.com
    p: 615.497.9808
    aim: mctoddstepp

    ReplyDelete