Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Pursuit of Happyness (and God)

I learn things about myself and other Christians from the weirdest places. This one's from the Will Smith movie with the same title as my blog post (well, almost the same). In case you haven't seen it, it's the story of Christopher Gardner and his rise from living in a homeless shelter to working as an investment banker. I liked it.

The point of this post isn't a movie review though, so we'll move on. It's about something that was said in the movie. Here's the quote.

CHRISTOPHER
Hey dad, you wanna hear something funny? There was a man who was drowning, and a boat came, and the man on the boat said "Do you need help?" and the man said "God will save me". Then another boat came and he tried to help him, but he said "God will save me", then he drowned and went to Heaven. Then the man told God, "God, why didn't you save me?" and God said "I sent you two boats, you dummy! 
It's much cuter when it's delivered by a little boy rather than typed out by a semi-serious blogger, I realize, but think about how profound this really is. While looking for a giant miraculous God-appearance on thunder and chariots, we miss God stopping by to say hello in the friendly sailor offering to throw us a life-preserver.
My only real point is that maybe next time you're looking for God's guidance in a decision, maybe the thing you need to realize is that an opportunity has presented itself. Maybe that in and of itself is God's guidance. Maybe waiting for a bigger sign will make you miss out completely. Maybe God really does speak in the still, small voice.

1 comment:

  1. short, sweet, and simple. i like this one. : )

    ReplyDelete