Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Update on the Girl Who Smiled

Well, I saw her again. She started walking my away and I expected a life-changing, earth-shattering smile coming straight my way. She looked up and then immediately back at the ground. I don't think I'll be getting her name anytime soon.

It's not exactly the same as what normally happens to me, but things like this happen a lot. Normally, it goes down like this. I meet someone. We get along. They stop talking to me completely and act very uncomfortable when I try to talk to them. So I go from ice cream and puppies and rainbows to the plague in less time than it took to build Rome. Don't let anyone tell you it wasn't built in a day. It was. Look it up.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, what is it about me that so readily repels people? I have a few theories. Let me know what you think.

1. I'm tall.
I know what you're thinking, really, I do. But tell me, if you don't have a thing against tall people, how many of you ever hung out with Wilt Chamberlain? Kareem Abdul Jabar? Manute Bol? Well then, I think I proved that point pretty easily.

2. I have long-ish brown hair.
Doesn't sound intimidating? You probably haven't been introduced to a leo panthera then. Doesn't ring a bell? It's just a gentle, loving creature known more commonly as a lion. That mane strikes terror into many creatures and maybe so does mine.

3. I eat a lot of carbohydrates.
Not normally thought of something that would bring out a fight-or-flight reaction in someone, but that may be part of the problem. If you don't think carbs are scary, then you're obviously not aware that they are the most abundant of the four major classes of biomolecules, which also include proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids (wikipedia.org).

4. I blog sarcastically. 
This can be intimidating to the sarcastically challenged for two reasons. One, because they may not understand I'm being sarcastic. There could be people out there right this second forming destructive relationships and avoiding craigslist at all costs. The second is that when you know a guy has as many as 5 readers at his blog each day, it's hard to stand out among all those faces.

Well, those are my ideas. Tell me if there are any that I've missed, if you decide that returning to my blog really won't be hazardous to your health.

3 comments:

  1. haha, this makes me laugh. and it also makes me sad. and it also makes me want to point out that i like those things about you. and it also makes me not quite sure what you're actually thinking. but hey, what else is new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I've been reading your blog for a little while now and I have a little crush on you...anyways I thought that might boost your ego a little bit...just in case you needed it...though I'm sure you don't

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, maybe it's the fact that you're 21 and you have your life ahead of you and God's keeping you for Himself to do His work.
    Maybe it's the fact that God knows that if he gave you the right girl right now, you'd probably get distracted...

    Or maybe it's just me...

    ReplyDelete