Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm Embarrassed to be a Christian

If you're anything like me, you've probably already judged the entire post based on just the title. I felt a little bit bad writing it, to be honest, but the situation just isn't getting any better and it needs to stop.

Christian, to me, should be synonymous with a whole list of words (or phrases), including, but not limited to these: fun, painfully honest, alive, artist, creator, creation, thoughtful, thought-provoking, respectful, respected, loving, real, open, sacrificial, passionate, available, unsafe, peaceful, self-giving, self-assure, sexual and spiritual beings, innovative, content, discontent, settled, unsettling, disrupted, disrupting.

Now, let's compare that to what the word Christian seems to have become identified with: safe, passive, unmotivated, unmoving, intolerant, uneducated, afraid, exclusive, unloving, unemotional, sexually restrained, condemning, closed off, trend followers, impassionate.

Since it does no good to point out problems and not offer solutions, I figured I'd offer three suggestions that could change things up ever so slightly. Despite not being a pastor, or even a pastor in training, I'll offer them in sermon outline style, alliteration and all.

1. Capo
For a group of people who believe they are made by the most innovative of Creators, we seem to have taken the day off in the creativity department. When a people group that should be able to pride (read: be proud of, not be prideful of) itself in innovation has put out the same song more times than Nickelback, something needs to change. If you can't find yourself able to play anything out of the key of G, pick up a capo and knock it up 5 steps or so. It will at least make it look like you're better than you actually are.

2. Cast
I understand the appeal, I really do, but there are actors besides Kirk Cameron looking to act. Kirk Cameron is good, I personally enjoy Growing Pains, but you're going to start stigmatizing yourself if he's the biggest name you have, and you have him for every single movie you do. Find an up and coming actor (for some reason, they're quite willing to do projects quite cheaply) or just rethink your concept for wider appeal. Tell Clooney he owes you one for making you sit through that whole Batman & Robin fiasco.

3. Challenge
Go ahead, show someone something they haven't seen before. They may surprise you and actually appreciate it. Be honest with someone even when you think it benefits you or them to lie. Go out of your way to show someone that there's something different about you and you're not ashamed of that. "As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

It's just a few suggestions, really, it's not that hard. I want to be proud of this label I have chosen. I'm tired of thinking that Christian doesn't belong as an adjective connected to what I want to be, a filmmaker.

7 comments:

  1. AMEN! Noah and I have been saying this stuff for years! Way to go! And yes, we should be some of the most creative, innovative, thoughtful people around! Change that stereotype Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post and yes the title caught my eye, which intrigued me to read on.

    When you state that the term Christian should be synonymus with other words, I have to disagree with alot of them, and I will tell you why.

    A unbeliever can be "fun, painfully honest, alive, artist, creator, creation, thoughtful, thought-provoking, respectful, respected, loving, real, open, sacrificial, passionate, available, unsafe, peaceful, self-giving, self-assure, sexual and spiritual beings, innovative, content, discontent, settled, unsettling, disrupted, disrupting."

    To me a Christian is not a label or a term but is who you are. I saw nothing listed about obedient, forgiving, faithful or God fearing.

    I do not believe that being a Christian has anything to do with accomplishment or popularity either.

    Your 3rd point is great. I do agree that we should all let our light shine, but I do not need anyones approval to be a Christian, and neither do future filmmakers!

    Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memphis,
    I greatly appreciate your input. You're absolutely right, the way I put that wasn't correct. Allow me to attempt to clarify my intentions.

    First, I probably should've avoided the word synonymous. I didn't mean that Christian and any of those should have the same definition, but rather one should not be able to think "Christian" without defining said person as those things.

    Second, I purposefully left off the ones relating to God fearing, obedient, etc. because it is almost assumed that a Christian needs to strive for these things. In the striving for these things is where we tend to neglect the other things I was talking about.

    Third, I hope I never made it seem like Christianity had to do with accomplishment or popularity. The comments on the music and movies I made were simply to say that I believe Christians have been settling for "good enough" instead of striving for beauty in their arts.

    The whole point of the post was to explore what connotations tend to come with the word "Christian," at least in terms of the arts.

    I hope that cleared things up. Once again, thanks. You brought up really good points and I don't think I'll change the post, just so our dialogue in the comments continues to make sense.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I will admit I am not an "artsy" guy, and that is not a cut on anyone. It was a good post, the motive of a blog I think is too get people thinking, I know ther may be alot of people that disagree with my way of thinking, but if I didn't welcome discussions, we would not give the optionof allowing comments right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I agree completely. I hope my reply didn't make it seem like I didn't appreciate your comment. I loved it. You pointed out somewhere I had missed the point in my post. It was a great comment. I just wanted to clarify my intentions a little bit further.
    And you're right, I do allow comments because I want to open myself more to criticism and critique. You make good contributions to my site, Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who are you and why are you so amazing?

    I completely agree with you. Each time I meet someone new for half a second I think "Oh no, I am going to have to tell them I am a christian". Then I mentally slap myself.
    It is true though, I am so disappointed in the image that christians have created (unfortunately myself included at times). I love what Donald Miller has to say about the subject in the chapter "Confession" of Blue Like Jazz. He talks about how 'christianity' means ten different things to ten different people. Being a christian really involves nothing more then loving Jesus. Everything else SHOULD follow. Unfortunately it seldom does.

    Hopefully we can get more people to share the mindset that you have written about. Thanks for the challenge and the encouragement. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete