Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hi, I'm a PC

That's actually a lie. I dutifully type all of my blog posts on my little (read: giant) MacBook Pro that is definitely built for speed and not for comfort. Comfort in this case referring to portability; it doesn't have much since it's bigger and heavier than my Spanish textbook (and that one's a hardcover).

I tend to get off topic a lot. Let's refocus.

Now, the real point is to discuss the recent "Hi, I'm a PC" commercials Microsoft has put out to counter the Get a Mac ad campaign from Apple. In relatively good time too. That makes Microsoft about 47 (yeah, I counted) ads and 2 years behind Apple. 2 years. That's the absolute latest "yeah, well, so's your face" type comeback I think I've ever heard of.

It's funny how some things are just reflections of other things in a bunch of different ways. First, I hold the opinion that Microsoft is about 2 years behind Apple in development in a lot of different ways, but we'll just narrowly skim that subject so I don't get killed in some back alley by an avid PC fan wielding an Ethernet card that Vista couldn't seem to recognize.

No, what really gets me is that this kind of thing has already been covered in popular culture. In a widely popular sitcom, to be exact. Any guesses? Anyone? (insert mandatory Ferris Bueller reference here)

The show was Seinfeld. The episode was The Comeback. Ringing any bells? George Costanza is told that "the ocean called; they're running out of shrimp" while consuming massive amounts of the tiny crustacean and he's left more than a little speechless (but altogether satisfied, because, well, he was eating shrimp). He finally thinks of a comeback, presumably hours later: "Oh yeah, Reilly? Well the jerk store called and they're running out of you."

I'll leave the rest of the episode for your viewing pleasure, but the point is, what's the point of having a retort if it took you more than about a second and a half to come up with? To make matters more interesting, Jerry Seinfeld was in a short series of commercials intended to combat the Mac ads which was promptly cancelled and changed to the new "I'm a PC" commercials, making Seinfeld's commercials the equivalence of the "Oh yeah, Reilly?" followed by another awkward pause before Costanza delivers his jerk store line. Whew.

Now, if only we could get Microsoft to start trying George's idea that "if every instinct I have is wrong, then the opposite must be right." Maybe then 1/3 of PC users wouldn't want to downgrade to the outdated operating system Microsoft offers rather than their newest and flashiest.

3 comments:

  1. I like this blog, however, I don't think the point of the new Microsoft ad is completely understood. It's not just to counter the Apple ads, but to push the idea that PC owners are not stereotypical nerds/geeks as shown in the Mac ads. It's simply showing that PC owners are very diverse in what they do. They aren't trying to mock the mac ads, but just trying to readjust the image that has been put out there by the MAC ads. If they truly wanted to counter the MAC ads, they could attack them by placing some individual who constantly follows trends. Not saying all Mac owners are trend followers, but sadly a large portion are that way. I think it's time that PC and Mac owners a like live in perfect harmony, because the debate has become a pointless matter. Mac owners won't admit to the flaws of apple, and well PC owners get really defensive easily when their products are attacked. They are both solid machines with different strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog
    I love it!
    really great stuff, I read some of your older stuff too.

    anyways just a hey! hows it going, I'm going to read your blog now so you should be honored to have me...
    j/k

    check me out here:
    http://wateryourcamels.blogspot.com/

    I just started it
    and it's not listed on my profile for security reasons...I may or may not be a spy...
    (or I could just be hiding "May I water your Camels" from those that I know have my other blog and would be offended, you know one of the two) anyways I'll stop rambling now and let you get back to your life...looking forward to reading

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. hah! thats amazing. i didn't think i was the only one who thought that commercial was horrendous...i saw it while watching the Office.
    and in reply to Aaron..flaws in apple? apple has flaws? ...i'll end this with a shout of joy as i hug my MacBookPro.

    ps i quite often blog-stalk people i see leaving comments on Stuff Christians Like. don't get too scared.
    :)

    ReplyDelete