Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Relient K

No, no, calm down. I did not go out and buy myself a K-car (a nice Reliant automobile). Why would I risk what I've got going on with the Volvo I'm currently driving? Hunnies flock like I was a player from the NBA with the 850 GLT, so there's no way I'd give that up.

No, what I'm really talking about is the State of the Blog address that I need to make. I titled this post in such a way to reflect my appreciation to the band Relient K for bringing the topic to my mind and also to honor the television show Scrubs. Now, onto business.

I realize this blog started as serious as the Alan Parson's Project (does that make 3 references in this post that a lot of people won't catch/get? I think it does). Then a few days ago, the posts took a dramatic turn to entirely light-hearted with very little substance. In all fairness, that's how I wanted my blog to be from the start, but there were just a few spiritual discoveries and thoughts I felt I needed to blog about.

Then I started feeling inspiration for funny and random, and I liked it. I've already discussed my passion for humor, so we won't go there again, but when the ideas came I essentially pulled the E-brake and pulled a 180. After two posts, I've had the feeling that the blog became a little disjointed and much less spiritual, and I didn't like the sound of that.

That's where Relient K comes into this. Their self-titled CD was catchy and fun, but every single song had God in it in an obvious and sometimes forced way. An example is in the song "Charles in Charge" - "Let's go hang out, you, me and Jesus at your mom's pizza parlor." An okay sentiment to be making all in all, inviting Jesus for a slice of pepperoni, but it just has nothing to do with the rest of the song. They thought that something explicitly about God needed to be in a song to make it Christian. In their later CDs, they realized that God doesn't need to be explicit to be present. God can be in the harmonies and the harmonics, the high-hats and the low notes.

All that to say, some posts may be so blatantly about God that it blinds you temporarily and in other posts, He may just be hiding somewhere behind my semi-serious analysis of whatever I found amusing at the time. Regardless of which you're reading though, He's there.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I laughed so hard through your last couple of posts! So fun to read! Are you back at school yet? What else is new in your life? -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I seriously have never thought of that..and its sooo true! I think it puts a different perspective on things too, seeing as you can find God in a lot of little things that you experience even though He's not mentioned or you don't see Him, He's still in the mix. Good blog :)

    ReplyDelete